Whitchurch Town Council

Leisure and Environment Committee Minutes – 24 April 2017

Present:

  Cllr F Nicolson   Cllr J Aves   Cllr M Berridge
  Cllr J Buckley a Cllr S Egan   Cllr C Isbester
a Cllr B Jackman   Cllr A Jordan   Cllr R Jordan
     
  ‘a’ denotes absence
  Also: Mrs K Bleazard, Clerk and Mrs S Woodman, Deputy Clerk and Cllr A Klemz

1. Apologies

Apologies were received from Cllrs S Egan and B Jackman.

2. Declarations of Interest

There were none.

3. Recording of the Meeting

All present were asked to note that this meeting is recorded by the Council and may be recorded by members of the public.

4. Minutes

Cllr C Isbester PROPOSED that the Minutes of the Leisure and Environment Committee meeting of 20th February 2017 be approved; SECONDED by Cllr R Jordan.  There voted 5 in favour, 2 abstentions and the Motion was carried.

5. Allotments

i) Update

Cllr R Jordan said that the allotment holders’ meeting held last week had been well attended and the notes of the meeting will be circulated shortly to all tenants.  Following her recent inspection five warning letters will be issued regarding plots that were not being worked.

ii) s106 Funding

Arising from tenants’ suggestions, Cllrs F Nicolson and R Jordan are drafting a list of improvement works to apply for s106 funding.

6. Cemetery

i) Update

Cllr F Nicolson noted that the soil bay was still filling up with unsuitable rubbish, and asked for any ideas on tackling the issue to be raised at the next meeting.

ii) Request for Burial of a Non-Resident

A request had been made for the burial of a former resident of the town, who had strong local and family connections.  The Clerk read out supporting comments sent by Cllr B Jackman.  Cllr F Nicolson PROPOSED that the burial in the cemetery is approved; SECONDED by Cllr R Jordan.  The vote was unanimous.

iii) Amendment to Cemetery Rules and Regulations regarding Scattering of Cremated Remains

Cllr A Jordan PROPOSED that the draft amendments are accepted, subject to clarification of paragraph 5(iii) which was unclear.  SECONDED by Cllr M Berridge; the vote was unanimous.

7. Recreation Grounds

i) Update

Both parks are in good condition.

ii) Update on Proposed Adult Fitness Equipment

The Clerk had collated comments from the public on the possible installation of the equipment at the Alliston Way recreation ground, and she suggested holding a display of similar equipment outside the Town Hall on Saturday morning, 24th June.

8. Footpaths – Update

Cllr M Berridge reported that there were no problems at present.  Cllr F Nicolson thanked Walkers are Welcome for installing two new kissing gates on local footpaths.

9. Flood Plan – Update

Cllr C Isbester had met with the Environment Agency, who had agreed to review and comment on the WTC Flood Plan.

10. Wildlife Trust Headwaters HLF Bid

Cllr Isbester had met with the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust to discuss applying for a landscape grant from the Lottery Fund, which could be used for training in the proper use of sluices and water meadows.  She requested a letter of support from the Town Council which could express a willingness to work in partnership with the Millennium Meadow Trust and the Silk Mill, rather than committing to financial support.

Cllr F Nicolson PROPOSED that a letter of support is sent to the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust accordingly; SECONDED by Cllr R Jordan.  The vote was unanimous.  Cllr Isbester to prepare a draft for the Clerk.  ACTION: CI

11. Correspondence

There was none.

The meeting closed at 8.00 pm.

Comments are closed.